Tuesday, January 24, 2012

my dad.

There is nothing like waking up in the morning and having your husband tell you, "Hey love, I have some sad news.  Your dad had a heart attack and is in the ICU."  Not something that you ever want to hear.

This is my dad's third heart attack.  With each one, I am reminded just how much I love and admire him. 

I am reminded how short life is. 

I am reminded of how grateful I am for my knowledge that families can be together forever. 

I am reminded how blessed I am to have been raised by such incredible people.

I am reminded how grateful I am that my children have such amazing grandparents who are truly present in their lives.

I am reminded how much I love my family, and how much I still need them even though I'm a 'grown-up'.

My dad is the most hard-working, loyal, loving person that I know.  I had the opportunity of working with him at the BYU Student Health Center for several years when we were first married and those are some of my favorite times.  Going to work and seeing your dad... it's the best. 

He can fix anything.  Whenever something is broken at our house, Grace will say "Grampa should fly here and come and fix it for us."

He was there when my first two children were born.  He was the nurse that took them from the doctors arms and checked them over to make sure they were healthy and strong.  With the other three births, something was always missing... my dad.  I cried each time that reality hit me as I was gearing up for delivery.  There is something about knowing that my baby will be in the hands of their grandpa that is so comforting.

I love my dad so much.  I'm so grateful that he is doing well.  The news of his heart attack made me hug my children a little tighter.  Hold my husbands hand a little more.  It made me more homesick than I've been in a long, long time. 

I'm so grateful for these tender mercies from my Heavenly Father that keep me grounded in my testimony of the plan of salvation.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I am so glad that your Dad is alright! I have had him in my thoughts and prayers ever since I heard that he had the heart attack