Monday, January 9, 2012

a new year.

While pondering upon what my personal goals for the new year would be... I kept coming back to one word.... 

I decided that this will be my "theme" for the year.  I need to simplify.  Not sweat the small stuff.  Get back to basics.  I do best when I make simple goals.  So this word is perfect. 

I need to simplify my spiritual life

Instead of setting the goal to 'read a chapter in the scriptures each day'... I am going to set the goal to be in the scriptures each day.  I may read a verse, I may read a chapter.  I just want to be in the scriptures.

Instead of setting the goal to 'pray morning and night'... I am going to set the goal to build my relationship with my Heavenly Father through prayer.   I want to really know Him and pray to Him all throughout my day.

I was recently extended a new calling (I haven't been sustained yet or I would tell you what it is).  The advice given to me when I received the call was to "simplify and try not to get too overwhelmed.".  I plan to take this to heart.

I need to simplify my physical life.

Instead of setting the goal to 'go to the gym five times a week'... I am going to set the goal to just go to the gym.  If I make it five times... that's awesome.  If I only make it twice... that's great!  I just need to get there.

Instead of setting the goal to 'eat healthier'... I'm going to set the goal to drink more water and eat more vegetables.  I can't follow a diet.  It just makes me want everything chocolate. 

I need to simplify my home life.

I want to be present in my kids lives.  Who cares if their rooms get messy?!  Who cares if we stay in our pajamas all day?!  The important thing is that they feel loved, appreciated and adored by their mother.

I want to be madly in love with my husband.  We are busy people, leading busy lives and I have to make time for him.  Date nights and regular trips to the temple will help me simplify my marriage.

Lastly... it was recently brought to my attention that my blog is one of those that makes women feel bad about themselves.  I hate this.  It makes my stomach churn.  I blog to journal our families life.  I hope to blog a little more about the hard times and the stressful moments so that everyone will know that I'm human and will hopefully feel a little better about themselves when they read about our "blissful, happy life".  ;)

The end.

2 comments:

George and Ruth said...

I enjoy your blissfully happy blog. Of course mothers of a certain age (read: grandmotherly old) can read between the lines to see the reality we know is there.

Durrant said...

Oh no! Your blog doesn't make me feel bad. It is one of the few that inspires me to want to be better! I love you and your kids and they make me smile to hear what they say and do. You are great just the way you are. Always be "Chelle" I do love the thought to simplify though... I think trying to make everything "perfect" is one of the traps Satan uses to get us down and feeling hopeless. Love you Chelle, Keep being you!
Liz