Our kids Elementary School takes Black History Month very seriously. The fact that the school is about 98 percent African American kids probably makes a big difference. Each year Gracie's teacher puts together a black history celebration. It's usually just for the first graders, but this year they made it a family affair and had a big dinner. We went and the kids showed us the posters their classes had made.
Grace wants to be a singer when she grows up...Graham's class poster...
Cutest little kindergartner you ever did see.
And Lincoln's poster...
Each of their best friends at school are African American. This is Graham and Javier (pronounced Jay-vier... not Ha-vier.)
Gracie and our favorite Brooklynn. Grace was darling at dinner. She leaned over to me and said, "If things were still the same as they were back then, I couldn't be friends with anyone in my school and Mrs. Miller couldn't be my teacher. That would make me very sad. I think I would break the rules and be friends anyway.... even if I got hurt."
They served loads of 'soul food'. Fried chicken, mac and cheese, green beans, rolls and salad. Lincoln was a big fan of the chicken.
I love that my kids are growing up learning that color doesn't matter. I was a little disappointed in the entertainment at the dinner... they had a black and white video playing in the background the had scenes from the KKK times and interviews of women whose children had been lynched and drowned in the river. Not something I want my children exposed to. I wish we could celebrate all of the wonderful accomplishments that have happened since that time instead of focusing on all of the horrific things that went on back then. We ended up leaving early because it was just too much for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment