We had known for awhile that Elder Ballard was coming for our Stake conference this time around. It was the tenth anniversary of the dedication of the sites in Kirtland that weekend and he didn't want to miss it. I learned that his great grandfather was the prophets brother, Hyrum Smith. He never misses a chance to walk where the prophet walked... hence his visit to Kirtland. I hadn't planned on attending anything but the adult session (my favorite) because Henry was only a week old. Turns out I was feeling great and didn't want to miss out on anything that was going on that weekend. It was a once in a lifetime kind of weekend and I'm so glad I was able to attend everything.
I tend to have a super low self esteem after giving birth. This time around has been no different... but I've tried really hard not to dwell on the post baby weight. I put on some cute-ish clothes and headed out with Jeremy and my little babe for a special fireside with Elder Ballard to celebrate "Kirtland Village"- as he called it.
I know it's totally against the rules to take pictures in the chapel. I was actually in the gym... so it's okay. That's what I keep telling myself anyway....The next morning they had a family breakfast and walk right at the sites. We walked from the Newel K Whitney store up to the temple. Well, Jeremy and the older kids did. I wasn't ready for that a week after giving birth. Peter and I had fun taking it all in.
They had the best time on the walk... so I hear...
I had fun snuggling this sweetie in the sling while chasing Petey around.
The morning was a little chilly, and then the sun came out and it became this gorgeous day. The spirit was so strong. I love Kirtland.
Elder Ballard was around... but we didn't see much of him because he was inside the store or the temple doing interviews for the church news. Here's a link to a wonderful article written about the weekend {click here}
All of the primary kids that were there were able to sing a few primary songs for Elder Ballard and his wife. They were so patient as we waited for them to finish up their interviews.
There is something so amazing about being in the presence of a living apostle. I can't describe the feelings that I had when I saw him step out of the car. And his sweet wife! She was so adorable and equally as amazing as he was.
My children were able to shake his hand. A moment they will never forget.
They ended up running out of pancakes just as it was our turn so we had some really sad kids. We decided to start celebrating Jayne's birthday a day early and went over to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. That was fun. 6 kids in a restaurant. There were lots of stares.
She even got a special birthday treat! She was in heaven....
The adult session was amazing as was the general session the next day. Elder Ballard even did a special session just for youth inside of the Kirtland temple. I really wish I could have attended that one.
Since then we have heard that there was a discussion in a meeting with the stake presidency and Columbus Temple president about the possibility of getting a working temple here in Kirtland. It is the only prominent church history site that doesn't have one.
Our Stake President has counseled our stake to do the following:
1. Participate in temple worship.
2. Serve as ordinance workers, if you can. Our stake needs to learn how to run a temple.
3. Submit family names.
4. Participate in more indexing—both adults and youth but especially youth.
5. Pray consistently for a temple in our area. The phrase he used was “it’s time to weary the Lord” with our petitions.
It is so fun to hear our children pray for a temple in Kirtland. Maybe it will happen sooner than we imagined!
No comments:
Post a Comment