Thursday, August 23, 2012

a gift in a day.

Gracie's best friend is turning 7 next week.  She insisted that I make her something since her mom (my bestie) has made something for her the last two years.  We looked on pinterest and decided to make one of the pillow beds that we've seen on there.  We just jazzed it up a little bit.  Here's our finished product:
You buy three yards of fabric (we did a yard and a half of two different kinds).  Cut it into two long strips about 27 inches wide.  Sew down the top and sides leaving the bottom open.  Then add a pillow, stitch it up, add a pillow, stitch it up, etc.  Until you have added the amount of pillows you will need.  We used 4 1/2 (the last one is a pillow folded in half, we didn't want to waist fabric).  If I make these again I will do 5 pillows and buy 3 1/2 yards of fabric.
 Gracie wanted it to have a blanket attached to it so that it was more like a sleeping bag.  We went to the fabric store and she picked out all things pink for her best friend.  We added ribbon, ric rack and lace to some of the seams to make it extra girly.
 I hand stitched the bottom of the pillow bed closed and then hand stitched the quilt to the bottom of the last pillow.
We also added ribbon to the bottom so that the whole thing can be rolled up and tied together like a sleeping bag.  (If I were to do it over again I would sew the ribbon on with the right sides facing each other so that when it is rolled up the pretty side faces out.)
 To use it you fold the top pillow under so that your head is elevated up a little bit.
 Then you lay down and cover up with the blanket at the bottom.
 Jayne was very happy to try it out for me...
 When it's not being used you can roll it up like a sleeping bag!  It's perfect for sleepovers/overnighters.
 I hope she likes it!  I'm thinking my kids might need one for Christmas..... we'll see if I have the energy to make five more.

3 comments:

Gaskin Girl said...

This is SUCH a FANTASTIC idea! I just LOVE it!! Nice work, Gracie, on picking out the fabric. I bet Eve will LOVE it! :) A perfect present for a birthday party!

MOMster said...

Holy Moly! You whipped this baby out in a DAY??? Sheesh, you're amazing! It would have seriously taken me a month or more. I just don't have that patience or creativity. :P I might just have to join the Pinterest world. ;)

It's a beautiful gift and something a little girl will LOVE! Way to go!

Valerie Russell said...

Wow Chelle, you amaze me! That is so darling, I love the improvements you made. I would have loved something like that at her age, she is going to love it!